mat or equipment classes?
Everything you need to know about Pilates Mat + Pilates Equipment classes is below so you can choose what's best for you.
Pilates mat classes
These are classes with exercises mostly performed lying down on the mat. Lasting 60 minutes, + are ideal for everyone. However, if you have specific injuries, then starting with Pilates Equipment classes may be a better way to start as these are either one-on-one, semi private or small groups limited to no more than 8.
In Pilates Mat classes:
- it is your body working against gravity that provides the biggest challenge
- exercises flow from one to another creating an overall mind + body workout that leaves you re-invigorated, relaxed and centred
- there are no static, isolated movements
- concentration and body awareness replaces the quick, jerky movements of other exercise regimes
- grace of motion is emphasized over speed; ultimately the movements are meant to feel as fluid as a long stride or a waltz
- muscles are developed to compliment good posture, suppleness + natural grace
Pilates equipment classes:
In Pilates Equipment sessions, specialised pieces of apparatus are used to provide resistance and also give support for your body. There are both one-on-one + group sessions.
On your first visit, you will be asked to complete a medical questionnaire. The teacher will then carry out a postural assessment and tailor a programme specifically for you. Your class will continue to be customised for your needs as you progress.
- last 60 minutes
- you receive individual attention to learn basic movement technique before going to small group classes
Semi private sessions:
- usually last 60 minutes
- you receive almost all the benefits of a private class but at a lower price
. last 60 minutes
- maximum of 30 clients at any time
- each client works on their own programme within a group environment ensuring a high level of individual teacher attention and care
- your teacher can modify both the Equipment + exercises given, to suit your individual needs
. last 60 minutes
. maximum 8 clients at anytime
. each client circulates around various Pilates equipment and machines at 3 minute intervals, this way you get a full body workout at a
much cheaper price
. your teacher can modify both the equipment and exercises to suit you needs